Los Angeles Landlord Tenant Handbook For Rent Stabilized Units

Los Angeles Landlord Tenant Handbook For Rent Stabilized Units
for Rental Units subject to the
Rent Stabilization Ordinance
Telephone Hotline: (213) 808-8888
(866) 557-RENT Outside (213) area code
(213) 978-3231 TTY
Web page: www.lacity.org/lahd
The hotline and counter hours are from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday.
The City Council is the governing body of the City of Los Angeles and meets in regular session
on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays at 10:00 a.m. in the Council Chamber, Room 340,
City Hall, 200 N. Spring Street, Los Angeles, California 90012-3710.
Those unable to attend regular Council sessions may dial one of the following numbers and
listen to live coverage of the sessions.
From: Downtown…………………. (213) 621-2489
West Los Angeles………... (310) 471-2489
San Pedro…………………. (310) 547-2489
San Fernando Valley…..… (818) 904-9450
Office Addresses: 3550 Wilshire Boulevard #1500
Los Angeles, California 90010-2314
6640 Van Nuys Boulevard
Van Nuys, California 91405-4617
3415 South Sepulveda Boulevard #150
Los Angeles, California 90034-6060
8475 South Vermont Avenue, 2
Los Angeles, California 90044-3424
690 Knox Street, #125
Los Angeles, California 90502-1305
2215 North Broadway
Los Angeles, California 90031
This Handbook is offered free of charge to the general public.
As laws and guidelines are occasionally amended, it is recommended that you verify any recent information
that may not be reflected in this handbook.
Revised: November 2006
A. Purpose 1
B. Scope 1
C. Qualifying Criteria 1
D. Exemptions 1
E. Rent Adjustment Commission 2
A. Customer Service and Information 3
B. Billings Section 4
C. Rent Investigations Section 4
D. Case Analysis Section 4
E. Hearing Section 4
F. Rent Adjustment Commission (RAC)(LAMC 151.03) 4
G. Rent Escrow Account Program (REAP)
A. Rental Units Subject to the RSO 5
B. Exemptions (LAMC 151.02) 5
C. Registration Procedures 6
D. Registration of Rental Units by Mail 7
E. Registration Questions
A. Increases Requiring LAHD Approval/Declaration 10
1. Capital Improvement (LAMC 151.07 A1a) 10
2. Primary Renovation (LAMV 151.07 A 1d) 13
3. Rehabilitation Work (Cited)(LAMC 151.02) 17
4. Just and Reasonable (LAMC 151.07 B1)
B. Increases Not Requiring Approval/Declaration 19
1. Annual Allowable Rent Increase (LAMC 151.06 A) 19
2. Registration Fee Recoupment (LAMC 151.05 B) 21
3. Additional Tenant (LAMC 151.06 G) 21
4. Smoke Detectors (LAMC 151.06.1) 22
5. Managers as Tenants (LAMC 151.08 E) 23
6. Additional Services Contract (LAMC 151.18)
C. Rent Level After a Vacancy (LAMC 151.06 C)
A. Twelve Legal Reasons for Evictions (LAMC 151.09A) 29
B. Evictions Requiring the Filing of a Declaration 30
C. Evictions Not Requiring Prior Approval of a Declaration 31
D. Eviction Questions
A. When is Relocation Assistance Required? 36
B. How Much is Required? 36
C. How and When Landlords Provide Payment 36
D. Exemptions (LAMC 151.09G4) 37
E. Relocation Assistance Questions
A. Filing Procedures 42
B. The Investigation 43
C. Reduction in Housing Services 44
A. What is the Systematic Code Enforcement Program? 46
B. How the Program Works 46
C. SCEP Questions 46
A. What is the Rent Escrow Account Program? 50
B. What is the Rent Reduction Determination? 50
C. How does REAP Work? 50
D. How does the Rent Reduction Work? 50
E. How is the Property Removed from REAP? 50
F. Tenant and Landlord Rights and Responsibilities 51
The Rent Stabilization Ordinance (RSO), Chapter XV of the Los Angeles Municipal
Code (LAMC) was enacted by City Council through Ordinance #152120 in 1978
and went into effect on May 1, 1979. The purpose of the RSO is to allow landlords
a reasonable return on their investments while protecting tenants from excessive
rent increases. The City Council is the legislative body with the authority to change
or amend the RSO.
The Los Angeles Housing Department (LAHD) is responsible for administering the
City's RSO. This function is funded entirely by the annual rental unit registration
fees. As a result of this funding, administration of the RSO does not increase the
City's tax base.
The Ordinance covers four broad categories:
1. Registration of rental units (LAMC 151.05);
2. Allowable rent increases (LAMC 151.06);
3. Legal reasons for eviction (LAMC 151.09);
4. Relocation assistance payable to the tenants for certain types of
evictions (LAMC 151.09 G).
To be under the RSO of the City of Los Angeles, a property must meet the
following three criteria:
1. The property must be in the City of Los Angeles;
2. There must be two (2) or more units on the lot;
3. The building must have a Certificate of Occupancy issued on or before
October 1,1978.
Properties exempt from the RSO are as follows:
1. Properties located in other municipalities or unincorporated areas within
the County of Los Angeles;
2. Single family dwellings, used as such;
3. Properties with a Certificate of Occupancy issued after October 1, 1978
(new construction);
4. Government owned properties;
5. Units occupied by an owner or family member where no rents are
6. Vacant units (10 days to register upon rental of the property);
7. Properties permanently removed from the rental market;
8. Luxury Housing Accommodations issued a Department Certificate;
9. Demolished RSO properties;
10. Schools/Hospitals;
11. Hotel/Motels - with tenancy under 30 days;
12. Non-profit owned units, with certain qualifications.
The RAC, consists of seven members who are neither landlords nor tenants of
residential rental property and who are authorized by the RSO (Section 151.03
and 151.08) to issue orders and to promulgate polices, rules, and regulations
which carry out the purpose of the Ordinance and other provisions of the Los
Angeles Municipal Code to the extent that such provisions impact on rents.
The RAC has prepared guidelines and regulations for the implementation of: Major
Rehabilitation, Capital Improvements, Just and Reasonable Rent Increases, and
establishing Relocation Escrow Accounts just to name a few. Copies of the
guidelines and regulations are available to the public upon request and free of
charge. They may also be accessed at the Housing Department’s website at
The Public Information and Outreach Section provides information to rental
property owners, tenants, and interested citizens regarding the full scope of the
Rent Stabilization Ordinance and its respective mandated rights, requirements and
habitability programs. This information is available by calling the LAHD Hotline,
visiting the public counters listed below, or accessing the Department’s web page
at www.lacity.org/lahd. Information may also be requested by e-mail at
Telephone Hotline - This telephone information service is staffed each business
day from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm. After regular business hours, a voice mail system
will accept messages and information requests for follow up. The Information
Hotline numbers are as follows:
(213) 808-8888
(866) 557-RENT outside (213) area code
(213) 978-3231 TTY
Public Information Counters - Citizens may register properties, file landlord
declarations, verify rental property registration, pay registration and Systematic
Code Enforcement (SCEP) fees, file both rent and habitability complaints, and
receive brochures and applications regarding current LAHD programs. The
counter hours are from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Staff from
the Customer Service and Information Section is also available to make
presentations to schools, business, and community groups upon written request.
The LAHD offices are located at:
3550 Wilshire Boulevard, #1500
Los Angeles, CA 90010-2314
6640 Van Nuys Boulevard
Van Nuys, CA 91405-4617
3415 South Sepulveda Boulevard, #150
Los Angeles, CA 90034-6060
8475 South Vermont Avenue, 2
Los Angeles, CA 90044-3424
690 Knox Street, #125
Los Angeles, CA 90502-1305
2215 North Broadway Street
Los Angeles, CA 90031
The Billings and Collections Section handles the registration of rental units and
collection of rent stabilization and code enforcement program fees, including late
registration fees; delinquent fees; verification of registration status; and processes
permanent exemption applications.
The Rent Investigations Section receives and processes tenants' complaints
concerning violations of the Rent Stabilization Ordinance. These complaints may
cover five areas:
1. Unit(s) not registered;
2. Notice to quit based on false and deceptive grounds;
3. Non-payment of relocation assistance fees;
4. Illegal rent increases; and
5. Illegal reduction of services.
The Case Analysis Section receives and processes landlord applications for
Capital Improvement surcharges, Rehabilitation Work (cited) rent increases, Just
and Reasonable rent increases, Luxury Exemptions, non-profit certifications,
Landlord Declarations of Intent to Evict, and applications for Re-rental Certificates.
The Landlord Declaration Section receives and processes Landlord Declarations
of Intent to Evict and applications for non-profit exemptions.
The Hearing Section coordinates General Manager hearings for code violations
and habitability complaints. This section also coordinates hearings in response to
landlord and tenant appeals of Departmental decisions regarding rent adjustment
and exemption certificate applications.
The Rent Adjustment Commission adopts and revises regulations that carry out
the purposes of the Rent Stabilization Ordinance and hears appeals of General
Manager decisions for certain habitability and rent increase cases.
This program provides for the reduction of rent and placement of reduced rents
into Rent Escrow Accounts for those rental properties with habitability deficiencies
and violations of the Los Angeles Housing Code when owners have failed to
comply with enforcement agency notices and/or orders. Tenants may deposit their
reduced rents with the Los Angeles Housing Department until the landlord corrects
the cited deficiencies.
The RSO applies to the entire City of Los Angeles, including San Pedro and the
San Fernando Valley. Residential rental units covered by the RSO include:
apartments, condominiums, town homes, duplexes, two or more dwelling units on
the same lot, mobile homes, mobile home pads, and rooms in a hotel, motel,
rooming house or boarding house occupied by the same tenant for thirty (30) or
more consecutive days (LAMC 151.02).
Unless specifically exempted from RSO registration, an owner cannot legally
collect from a tenant unless the owner has paid the annual rent registration fee
and provided a copy of a valid registration statement to the tenant. Tenants may
raise the non-payment of RSO registration and/or Systematic Code Enforcement
Program fees by the owner as an affirmative defense against eviction of the
Rental units that are exempt from the provisions of the RSO include:
Housing accommodations located in a structure for which the first
Certificate of Occupancy was issued after October 1, 1978;
Single family residential dwellings where only one dwelling unit exists on
the lot (exemption shall not apply to duplexes or condominiums);
Government-owned housing;
Non-profit housing accommodations specifically exempted by the LAHD;
Artist-In-Residence units where the owner has obtained from the
Department of Building and Safety a conditional use permit for a change
of the Certificate of Occupancy and meets the requirements specified in
Los Angeles Municipal Code Section 91.8501;
Luxury units issued a LAHD Exemption certificate;
Substantially Renovated units issued a Los Angeles Housing
Department certificate. (As of October 4, 1989, this exemption is no
longer granted).
Units occupied by the landlord or family members where no rents are
collected. This exemption must be requested on a yearly basis.
Luxury Exemption - Luxury Exemptions require that an application be filed with
the Case Analysis Section and that a certificate be issued from LAHD before the
landlord can claim the unit as exempt. For further information, prospective
applicants should obtain and review the Luxury Exemption Regulations that are
available at the LAHD Public Information Counters, by e-mail at
, or by calling LAHD’s Public Hotline at (213) 808-8888 or (866)
Substantial Renovation - The Substantial Renovation exemption was eliminated
effective October 4, 1989. The exemption is applicable to only those rental units
for which the landlord submitted an application for a certificate of exemption on or
before October 4, 1989, and which were issued a certificate from the LAHD.
Under the City’s RSO, landlords may not demand or accept rent without first
obtaining a valid rental unit registration certificate from the LAHD. Registration of
rental units requires payment of annual fees ($18.71 per unit) and providing an
emergency phone number.
Only the property owner or his/her designated agent may register the rental units
subject to the Rent Stabilization Ordinance. In cases of new ownership or first time
registrants, legal ownership must be established by providing a copy of one of the
following documents:
Recorded Trust Deed;
Recorded Grant Deed;
Recorded Quit Claim Deed;
Recorded Corporation Deed;
Court Receivership papers; or
Final Escrow Closing Statement.
New Owners - New owners have forty-five (45) days from the close of escrow or
recording of the ownership change with the Los Angeles County Recorder’s Office
to register the rental units. No penalties are incurred for a previous owner’s non-
registration; however, no rent may legally be collected unless the units are
currently registered. If registration fees are current, a new owner will not have to
pay additional fees for the calendar year, but must change legal ownership on the
registration record.
Yearly Registration Renewals - Landlords are required to renew their registration
annually by the last day in February
. Renewal applications are mailed during the
last week of December to all landlords whose property has a registration record on
file with the LAHD. If a landlord does not receive a renewal application, it is
the landlord's responsibility to make certain the annual registration fee is
paid between January 1 and the end of February to avoid any penalties.
Registration Certificates – Certificates are issued in April of each year.
Registration certificates are good from April 30 of the year registered through April
30 of the following year.
Payment Due Date and Penalties for Late Registration - Both Systematic
Code Enforcement Program and Rental Registration fees are due yearly and
may be paid between January 1 to the last day in February.
Beginning March 1
, the City assesses late charges of $14.00 per rental unit for
RSO registration and $17.76 per rental unit for SCEP, which are added to the
basic fees due. After July 1, the City sends out delinquent bills to landlords who
have unpaid annual fees and assess additional penalties of $14.00 for RSO
registration and $35.52 for SCEP which are added to the basic fees and the earlier
late charge. Failure to pay the required fees may result in the additional collection
efforts, including referral to a private collection agency which reports to credit
bureaus and/or the filing of a legal action against the landlord by the City.
Landlords who receive an annual Rental Unit Registration Application form are
encouraged to register by mail. Each application includes an instruction sheet and
a self-addressed return envelope. The landlord must complete the application form
if there are any changes. Any changes regarding ownership, owner’s address,
telephone number and related information should be made to the pre-printed
information on the form.
Exemptions are not automatically “carried over” from the previous year. If any of
the exemptions listed on the application form apply, the required information
should be provided and the number of units to be registered modified accordingly.
Landlords who do not receive an application form may register their rental property
by mail. The landlord must include the following information when registering
without a preprinted application notice:
1. Exact street address of the property (use lowest house number on the
lot –the Rent Stabilization Ordinance records are set up by the lowest
number on county records);
2. Name and mailing address of the owner or owner's agent (include
telephone number if available);
3. Number of units on the lot (total number of units before exemptions);
4. Number of units to be registered (may be less than the total units on the
property due to exemptions);
5. Specific units to be exempted and the reason for exemption;
6. Exact dates of ownership. If property was purchased within 45 days, you
must provide a copy of the document reflecting legal ownership; and
check or money order payable to: City of Los Angeles-LAHD
7. Registration is not complete without the furnishing of an emergency
phone number as required in Section 151.05B of the RSO. Please
provide this information on your invoice when you submit your payment.
Annual bills reflect the Los Angeles Housing Department’s record of any
permanent exemption, along with a temporary exemption for owner-occupancy if a
Homeowner’s Exemption is on file with the County Assessor. However, other
exemptions must be re-asserted annually. To claim an exemption which is not
indicated on the annual bill, the landlord should follow the instructions provided
with the annual bill.
Registration Questions
What are the registration fees and penalties per unit?
Regular Registration fee: $18.71 per unit
Late fee: $14.00 per unit plus the $18.71 per unit
regular fee if paid on or after March 1
($14.00 + $18.71 = $32.71)
Delinquent fee: $28.00 per unit plus $18.71 per unit regular fee,
due upon LAHD notification.
($28.00 + $18.71 = $46.71)
Why must landlords register?
The Los Angeles Municipal Code requires all owners of rental units who
are subject to the Rent Stabilization Ordinance to register the units on a
yearly basis before
the owners can legally demand or accept rent
(LAMC 151.05).
Does a landlord pay a registration fee for every unit rented?
No. There are exemptions if the unit qualifies and proof of qualification is
given. The exemptions are listed on page 6.
How can I find out if a unit is registered?
Contact the Billings and Collections Section by telephone at
(877) 614-6873 or (213) 808-8900, or by e-mail at Billing@lahd.lacity.org
Is a landlord allowed to pass through part of the registration fee to
the tenant?
Yes, the landlord may pass through $9.35 of the $18.71 annual rental unit
registration fee to the tenant(s), as a lump sum surcharge payable during
the month of June, provided the landlord has paid the fee and given a 30-
day written notice.
Are registration fees the only fees due for my rent-stabilized units?
No. The annual Systematic Code Enforcement Program (SCEP) fee is
also billed annually on the same bill as the annual rental unit registration
fees. (See page 40.) Other fees which may be collected include:
additional inspection fees, substandard fees, Rent Escrow Account
Program (REAP) fees, and legal fees. You may call the number above if
you have any questions about a bill.
What part of the Systematic Code Enforcement Program fee may the
pass through to the tenant(s)?
A landlord may pass through 100% of the annual $35.52 SCEP fee per
rental unit in the form of a monthly surcharge of $2.96, provided that the
landlord has paid the SCEP fee and given the tenant a thirty-day notice.
I did not receive a bill. Does that mean I do not have to pay?
Annual bills are provided as a courtesy. However, the property owner is
responsible for timely payment regardless of whether or not a bill is
What do I do if I do not receive an annual rental unit
registration/SCEP bill from the Los Angles Housing Department?
If you own rental property in the City of Los Angeles for which you did not
receive an annual bill, call the Housing Department at (213) 808-8900.
What should I do if the information on the annual bill is incorrect?
The information on property owner and number of units is obtained from
the County Assessor. Should the information on the annual bill be
incorrect, or if you wish to use a different billing address in the future,
please provide updated information on the front of the payment coupon.
The Department encourages you to ensure that the information on file with
the County Assessor for your property is current.
There are four types of rent increases that require either an application to be
approved by or a declaration form be filed with the LAHD’s Rent Stabilization
Division. Department approval is required before the landlord can pass through
any of these types of rent increase to the tenant. It is strongly recommended that
landlords applying for Capital Improvement, Primary Renovation, Rehabilitation or
Just and Reasonable rent increases obtain and read the applicable guidelines
prior to filing. Incomplete or incorrect applications will be returned to the landlord.
The information may be obtained at LAHD’s Public Information Counter, by calling
the Public Information Hotline at (866) 557-RENT or (213) 808-8888, or by e-mail
at rso@lahd.lacity.org, and requesting that this information be mailed.
NOTE - Once a rent increase is approved by LAHD, the landlord must serve a
thirty (30) day written notice to the tenants, as required by California Law (Civil
Code Section 827(2)(3). If the rent is increased by more than 10% in a twelve (12)
month period, a sixty (60) day written notice must be served.
A Capital Improvement is the addition or replacement of an item in the
rental unit or common areas of the housing complex containing the rental
units. A Capital Improvement must meet the following minimum criteria:
a. The improvement must primarily benefit the tenant rather than the
b. The improvement must have a life expectancy of five years or
c. The improvement must be permanently fixed in place or relatively
d. The application must be submitted within 12 months of the
completion of the work;
e. Normal routine maintenance is not a Capital Improvement.
Examples of Capital Improvements are: roofing; carpeting; stuccoing or
painting the exterior of a building; garbage disposals; hot water heaters;
meter conversions; smoke detectors; etc. (Refer to LAMC Chapter XV,
Section 151.02, Definitions.)
Capital Improvement Surcharge
The following Capital Improvement provisions have been effective since October 1,
1989 (LAMC 151.07 A1a):
A Capital Improvement increase is a temporary monthly surcharge,
which must be removed from the rent after the allowable amount of time,
normally 72 months.
The Capital Improvement rent surcharge is 1/60th of fifty percent (50%)
of the average per unit cost.
Except as indicated below, Capital Improvement surcharges terminate
after 72 months or six (6) years.
$55 per month maximum surcharge. The temporary monthly Capital
Improvement surcharge is limited to $55 per unit unless otherwise
agreed upon in writing by the landlord and the tenant. If the surcharge
as calculated (1/60 of 50%) exceeds $55 per month, then the surcharge
period of six (6) years may be extended until the allowable Capital
Improvement expenses are recovered.
The surcharge may be terminated if the Capital Improvement fails. The
temporary surcharge will terminate if the Department determines there
has been a complete failure of a Capital Improvement.
A Capital Improvement surcharge for complete exterior painting is
eligible only once every ten (10) years (LAMC 151.02 Definitions).
There is no charge for the first application for a property in a calendar
year. Subsequent applications for the same property in the same
calendar year must be accompanied by a $25 filing fee (LAMC 151.07
Capital Improvement Questions
Does the landlord need the tenant's permission to do a Capital
No. The landlord is required to give the tenant a 24-hour notice that he
or she intends to enter the unit to make improvements. If the tenant
does not provide the landlord reasonable access to the unit, the tenant
runs the risk of being evicted under Section 151.09 A6 of the Ordinance.
(Refer to Section VI – Evictions.)
Can a tenant object to the proposed rent increase?
Yes. After the landlord files an application with the Department, the
tenants are mailed a "Notice of Proposed Rent Increase." Tenants have
ten (10) days (from the postmark on the envelope) to submit a written
letter of objection (LAMC 151.07A2b). The objection cannot be based on
the fact that the tenant did not want the improvement. Objections can be
made if the improvement was not completed, if the facts were
inaccurate, if the tenant moved in after the work was completed, or if
more than one year elapsed since the completion of the work (LAMC
151.07 A1a).
What can a landlord do if the tenant refuses to pay the approved
monthly surcharge?
The landlord can evict the tenant for failure to pay the approved monthly
surcharge in addition to the rent under Section 151.09 A1 of the
Ordinance. (See Section VI – Evictions.)
Can the approved surcharge be added to the security deposit?
Is there an appeal process?
Yes. (Please refer to Section XIII – Hearings and Appeals.)
How long after the completion of the work does the landlord have
to apply for the increase?
The landlord must file the application withinone (1) year (twlve months)
after the completion of the work (LAMC 151.07A2a).
The City of Los Angeles adopted the Primary Renovation Program to
encourage landlords to reinvest in the infrastructure of their properties
though primary renovation work. At the same time, the program enacts
safeguards to protect tenants both from unsafe living conditions while
renovation work is undertaken and from extreme rent increases following
the completion of such renovation work.
The amendment to the RSO implementing the Primary Renovation
Program became effective on May 2, 2005, and replaced the major
rehabilitation provisions of the RSO.
The Primary Renovation Program:
eliminates major rehabilitation as a ground for eviction;
creates a new cost recovery program allowing landlords to increase
rents to pay for improvements to major building systems and the
abatement of hazardous materials, such as lead-based paint and
asbestos; and
imposes tenant habitability requirements, including temporary
relocation, when improvements to major building systems or the
abatement of hazardous materials is likely to temporarily affect the
habitability of occupied units.
Before a landlord may obtain a permit to undertake primary renovation
work that affects an occupied rental unit, the landlord must file a Tenant
Habitability Plan with the Housing Department. This plan must mitigate
conditions related to the primary renovation work that could make occupied
rental units temporarily uninhabitable, either through precautions to ensure
that tenants can safely remain in place during construction, or through the
temporary relocation of tenants to replacement housing. The Rent
Adjustment Commission has adopted regulations with specific
requirements for tenant habitability plans.
Once the Housing Department accepts a Tenant habitability Plan, the
landlord must notify affected tenants about the work that will be done and
the option available to the tenants.
Primary Renovation Questions
What is primary renovation work?
Construction work that involves repairing or replacing major building
systems, such as central heating/air conditioning, water and sewage piping,
wiring inside walls, elevators, or reinforcement of the building structure. It
also includes work which is undertaken to abate hazardous materials, such
as lead-based paint or asbestos.
What is a Tenant Habitability Plan?
It is a plan that describes the kind of work the landlord is planning to do,
how the work will affect then tenants and their units, and how long the work
will take. The Plan should describe the safe work practices the landlord
plans to use. For example, lead safe practices must be used to minimize
the spread of lead dust, paint chips, soil, and debris during construction.
The landlord must submit this plan to the Housing Department before any
work begins.
What if the tenant disagrees with the plan?
If the tenant objects to the temporary housing arrangements made by the
landlord, the tenant has fifteen (15) days from receipt of the 60-day Notice
of Primary Renovation Work to file an appeal of the Plan with the Housing
How soon can the renovation work begin?
The work may begin no sooner than sixty (60) days after the landlord has
served the tenant with (1) a copy of the Plan; (2) a Notice of Primary
Renovation Work; (3) a summary of the provisions of the Tenant Habitability
Program; and (4) a permanent relocation form if the work will last thirty (30)
days or more.
Can the tenant remain in their rental unit while the renovation work is
Yes, if the work does not make the rental unit uninhabitable outside
construction hours and will not expose tenants to toxic or hazardous
Are there restrictions on hours when work may take place?
The landlord is permitted to do construction work from Monday through
Friday between the hours of 8 am and 5 pm and must restore all housing
services such as utilities by 5 pm.
When can the tenant choose permanent relocation?
If the work will take thirty (30) days or more, the tenant can choose
permanent relocation. The tenant may also choose permanent relocation if
the work continues 30 days longer than the completion date stated in the
Plan, or 30 days longer than any later Plan modification accepted by the
Housing Department.
If the tenant chooses permanent relocation, what is the amount of
assistance required?
A qualified tenant may receive $8,550 per household. All others will receive
$3,450 per household. (On July 1, 2007, these amounts change to $8,950
and $3,600.) A “qualified tenant” is someone who is age 62 or older; is
disabled; or has at least one dependent child under 18. If you choose
permanent relocation and receive the money, you must move out. If you do
not, eviction proceedings may be brought against you.
When is a tenant required to temporarily relocate?
When the unit will not be habitable outside of construction hours or the
tenants will be exposed to hazardous materials at any time.
What are the options for temporary relocation if the relocation lasts
less than thirty (30) days?
If temporary relocation will last less than thirty (30) days, the landlord may:
Move the tenant(s) to another “habitable” unit in the same
building or another building; or
Move the tenant(s) to a motel or other housing; or
Offer the tenant a daily dollar amount to find temporary
What are the options if temporary relocation lasts thirty (30) days or
If temporary relocation will last (thirty) 30 days or more, the landlord may:
Move the tenant to another “comparable” unit in the same
building or another building; or
Offer the tenant a daily dollar amount to find temporary
housing; or
The tenant may choose to vacate the unit and get permanent
relocation money.
What if the tenant fails to temporarily relocate ?
If the tenant fails to temporarily relocate in accordance with an accepted
Tenant Habitability Plan, eviction proceedings may be commenced.
What if the tenant fails to pay rent while they are living in temporary
housing ?
While living in temporary housing, the tenant must continue to pay rent to
your landlord as usual. Otherwise, eviction proceedings may be
Who is responsible for the cost of temporary housing?
The landlord must pay for all temporary housing costs.
What happens to the tenants’ personal belongings while they are
temporarily relocated?
The landlord must take steps to secure and protect the tenants’ property
from damage or loss and the Tenant Habitability Plan should describe what
precautions will be taken to safeguard the tenants’ belongings. The tenant
and landlord may agree to a payment to allow the tenant to move or store
their own belongings.
Can the landlord raise the rent for the unit after doing the primary
renovation work?
Maybe. Within twelve (12) months after finishing the work, the landlord may
file an application for rent increase with the Housing Department.
How much can the rent be raised for primary renovation work?
If the landlord’s application for a rent increase is approved, the rent may be
increased by 10% divided equally over two years. This increase is in addition
to any regular yearly rent adjustment (e.g. 3%-5% a year).
How much can my rent be raised for a low-income tenant?
A 10% increase for primary renovation work can be imposed no more than
once during the lifetime of a tenancy for a low-income tenant whose annual
household income is at or below 80% of the HUD area median income for
the Los Angeles area.
What if the landlord does not follow the Tenant Habitability Plan?
If the landlord fails to follow the Plan, the Housing Department will deny the
landlord’s application for a rent increase. If the landlord does not provide
permanent relocation assistance, the tenant can sue the landlord for
damages, in the amount of the unpaid relocation assistance, attorney’s fees
and costs. If a landlord fails to carry out his or her obligations under a
temporary relocation plan, the tenant can sue the landlord for all actual
damages, special damages (twice actual damages or $5,000, whichever is
greater), punitive damages (if the failure was intentional), attorney’s fees and
court costs.
Where can I find the additional information, forms, and the Tenant
Habitability regulations?
Both the Primary Renovation Program Ordinance and the Rent Adjustment
Commission’s Tenant Habitability Program Regulations may be found at the
Housing Department’s website:
http://www.lacity.org/lahd/ .
Temporary rent surcharges are allowed for cited rehabilitation work
required by the Dorothy Mae Ordinance (requires all pre-1943 residential
buildings or R-1 occupancy, three or more stories in height, to meet
certain specified retroactive fire safety requirements. Ordinance No.
158,963, effective 6/20/84), impact hazard glazing and any other code
requirement passed after January 1, 1979 (LAMC 151.02), as well as for
work performed in order to repair damage resulting from fire, earthquake,
or natural disaster. However, if the landlord has obtained a rehabilitation
loan, the landlord shall only be entitled to a temporary monthly rent
increase amortized over the life of the loan which is calculated based
only on the loan’s principal.
This temporary monthly surcharge shall not exceed $75.00 per month or
10% of the Maximum Adjusted Rent; whichever is less, for each rental
unit unless agreed upon in writing by the landlord and the tenant. If the
surcharge, as calculated under the above formula, would exceed $75.00
per month or 10% of the Maximum Adjusted Rent, whichever is less,
then the surcharge period of five years may be extended until the
allowable rehabilitation expenses are covered.
The total allowable cost is amortized over a five-year period. The total
allowable cost is divided by 60, and then divided by the number of units
benefiting from the work.
The landlord has one (1) year from the completion date of the work to file
an application with LAHD. The first application for a building in a
calendar year is free. A $25 filing fee must accompany subsequent
applications for the same building in the same calendar year (LAMC
151.07 A2a).
4. JUST AND REASONABLE (LAMC 151.07 B & RAC Regs. 240.00)
A Just and Reasonable rent increase an increase which may be authorized by
a hearing officer in situations where the landlord may have incurred
reasonable operating expenses which have exceeded the rent increases
allowed by the Ordinance (RAC Regulations 240.03). Landlords should be
able to maintain the same level of net operating income as they experienced
in 1977, prior to the adoption of the Rent Stabilization Ordinance, with a price
level percentage adjustment. A landlord is required to submit a completed
application with copies of all supporting documentation and a $25 filing fee
(LAMC 151.07 B3). LAHD staff reviews the application and documentation
and prepares an analysis for the hearing officer. A public hearing is held after
which the hearing officer renders a decision to grant, modify or deny a
requested rental increase (RAC Regulations 240.02).
Just and Reasonable Questions
What kinds of items are considered in an application for a Just and
Reasonable rent increase?
Actual rental income (RAC Regulations 241.03)
Management and administrative expenses (RAC Regulations
Landlord performed services (RAC Regulations 241.09 B)
Operating expenses (such as electricity, water and sewer, gas and
other building services) (RAC Regulations 241.09C)
Maintenance expenses (such as security, grounds maintenance,
building maintenance and repairs and painting) (RAC Regulations
241.09 D)
Taxes and insurance expenses (including real estate taxes) (RAC
Regulations 241.09 E).
Examples of Items Not Considered:
Penalties and late fees imposed by Ordinance (RAC Regulation
Debt service (mortgage and interest payment)
Increased costs which are prohibited from being passed through to
tenants by the City or State (RAC Regulation 241.13B3)
Costs for which a landlord has already received a rent increase
based on the Capital Improvement Regulations or other RAC
regulations (RAC Regulation 241.13B5)
Reimbursed expenses.
Is there an appeal process if the landlord and/or tenant objects to the
hearing officer's decision?
Yes, the Hearing Officer’s decision may be appealed to the Rent
Adjustment Commission. See Section XIII, Hearings and Appeals
(LAMC 151.07 B4a).
The annual allowable rent increase is based on the Consumer Price Index
(CPI) average for the Los Angeles - Long Beach - Anaheim areas for a
twelve (12) month period ending September 30 of each year (LAMC 151.07
A6). Under the RSO, the percentage can be no lower than three percent (3%)
and no higher than eight percent (8%). The percentage is published on or
before May 30 of each year for the following twelve (12) month period
beginning on July 1st and ending on June 30. The chart below indicates the
chronology of allowable rent increases:
5/1/79 - 6/30/85 7%
7/1/85 - 6/30/86 4%
7/1/86 - 6/30/87 5%
7/1/87 - 6/30/88 4%
7/1/88 - 6/30/89 4%
7/1/89 - 6/30/90 5%
7/1/90 - 6/30/91 5%
7/1/91 - 6/30/92 5%
7/1/92 - 6/30/93 5%
7/1/93 - 6/30/94 3%
7/1/94 - 6/30/95 3%
7/1/95 - 6/30/96 3%
7/1/96 - 6/30/97 3%
7/1/97 - 6/30/98 3%
7/1/98 - 6/30/99 3%
7/1/99 - 6/30/00 3%
7/1/00 - 6/30/01 3%
7/1/01 - 6/30/02 3%
7/1/02 - 6/30/03 3%
7/1/03 - 6/30/04 3%
7/1/04 - 6/30/05 3%
7/1/05- 6/30/06 3 %
7/1/06- 6/30/07 4 %
7/1/07- 6/30/08 5 %
The annual increase may be imposed only if twelve (12) months or more
have elapsed since the last such rent increase. The increase is neither
cumulative nor retroactive. Landlords are required to serve tenants with a
written 30-day notice before the increase may be collected (RAC Regulations
360.00 and California State Civil Code).
Allowable Rent Increases Questions
Can the landlord charge for utility services?
Yes. The landlord may increase the annual percentage by one percent
(1%) for gas and/or another one percent (1%) for electric service that is
available in the unit when the landlord pays for such service (LAMC
151.06 D).
Does the one percent (1%) increase apply to hot water or gas used
to heat water in a common boiler?
No. Neither cost can be passed through to the tenant.
When can the increase percentage exceed the annual allowable
If the rental unit has not had an increase since May 31, 1976, then the
landlord can increase the rent by an amount not to exceed nineteen
percent (19%) (LAMC 151.06 A), or if the unit has not had an increase
since May 31, 1977, then the increase can be thirteen percent (13%)
(LAMC 151.06 B). The one percent (1%) for each utility also applies.
(Also, see Managers as Tenants, Section IV B5.)
Are there any exceptions to the annual increase?
Yes, an increase may not be imposed for a substandard housing unit
for which a notice of noncompliance has been sent to the State
Franchise Tax Board, if the violations that were the subject of the notice
have not been corrected (LAMC 151.06 D Exception). Rent increases
are also not allowed for units in the REAP or rent reduction program.
Can a security deposit, last month's rent, etc. be increased?
Yes, only by the annual allowable percentage and only at the same
time that the percentage is applied. A new landlord cannot ask for an
additional security deposit. Security Deposits are defined under
California Civil Code 1950.5 (LAMC 151.02 Definitions – Rent).
Can the landlord request the annual allowable increase if the
tenant has a two-year lease?
It depends on whether or not the increase violates the terms of the
lease. Any increase must be addressed in the terms of the lease
Can a late fee be charged if a tenant is late with the rent?
Yes, but only if the late fee amount is included in the original rental
agreement/contract (California State Civil Code Section 1812.626).
Otherwise, addition of a late fee amount would violate the maximum
allowable rent allowed under the RSO.
When is rent considered late?
Rent is due on the day specified by the landlord or the lease
agreement. The Ordinance does not provide for a grace period. A
grace period and its specified duration exist only if it is a part of the
original rental agreement/contract.
Rental property owners may recover $9.35 of the $18.71 Registration fee
from the tenant only during the month of June of the year in which the
registration fee was paid. The property owner must serve the tenant with a
30-day written notice before collecting this annual surcharge.
Rental property owners may recover $100% of the annual $35.52 SCEP
fee per rental unit in the form of monthly surcharge of $2.96, provided that
the landlord has paid the SCEP fee and given the tenant a thirty-day notice
of the increase from the previous monthly surcharge amount.
The maximum rent or maximum adjusted rent may be increased by an
amount not to exceed ten percent (10%) for each additional tenant who
joins the occupants of the rental unit. However, the rent may not be
increased for the first minor dependant child added to a tenancy.
When the additional tenant(s) vacate(s) the unit, the remaining tenant(s)
must notify the landlord in writing, and the rent shall be reduced by a dollar
amount equal to the increase.
Additional Tenant Questions
Can the landlord increase the rent for a newborn baby?
Not if the baby is the first minor dependent child added to the tenancy
after December 8, 1990. Multiple births (twins, etc.) shall be considered
as one child added to an existing tenancy.
Is the amount of the additional tenant increase subject to the
annual increase?
Yes. However, it should be noted that once the additional tenant has
left the unit or has been removed from the unit, the ten percent (10%)
increase must be removed from the rent amount. The yearly allowable
increase remains as part of the rent.
Is a replacement roommate considered an additional tenant?
No. For example, when two (2) tenants occupy a unit and one of the
tenants vacates the unit and the remaining tenant gets a replacement
roommate, the replacement roommate does not constitute an
additional tenant. However, the landlord does have the right to
approve the new tenant. Approval cannot be unreasonably withheld.
(RAC Regulations 340.00)
All landlords are required by law to have installed permanently wired
smoke detectors in all dwelling units in the City of Los Angeles by August
1, 1983 (LAMC 151.06.1).
The landlord can assess a $3 per detector per month surcharge until the
cost, including installation of the detectors, is recovered. If a landlord adds
an automatic surcharge, the landlord may add an interest charge to the
actual cost of materials and labor to compensate the landlord for the use of
the money in making the installation. The interest charge that may be
added to the cost is 19.6%. The landlord must serve a tenant with a written
30-day notice, within two (2) months after installation, showing the actual
purchase and installation cost and the month and year the surcharge will
terminate. Eligible costs are detailed in the Smoke Detector Guidelines
(RAC Regulations 343.02).
Smoke Detectors Question
When can the cost of a smoke detector be recovered? Can the
cost be recovered if the landlord fails to notify the tenant within
the two (2) month deadline?
Yes. The landlord can apply for a Capital Improvement rent increase
within 12 months of installation of new smoke detectors (LAMC
The landlord-manager relationship is an employer-employee business
arrangement (RAC Regulations 920.00). Managers having concerns over
termination procedures of their services are advised to seek legal advice.
Rental Level after Termination of Manager’s Services
The establishment of the rent level and applicable rent increases when a
manager's services are terminated depends upon a variety of situations:
a. Whether the manager received paid compensation in addition to
housing accommodations.
b. Whether the manager was a previous tenant and became a manager
before or after May 31, 1978.
Managers as Tenants Questions
Which guideline provides information on the subject of apartment
The RAC Guidelines (Section 920.00) and the bulletin titled, “Managers
as Tenants,” may be obtained at LAHD’s Public Counter or by calling
LAHD’s Public Information Hotline at (213) 808-8888 or (866) 557-
Which agency administers the City law that requires that a
manager be on the premises of a building having 16 or more units?
The City of Los Angeles Fire Department administers the Responsible
Resident Required law (LAMC 57.112.04, amended by Ordinance
170954, effective 4/16/96). For questions regarding this Ordinance,
contact the Fire Safety & Education Program at (213) 978-3600 or (818)
756-9675. Local fire stations enforce this Ordinance. The property
owner needs to register at the properties nearest fire station or go on
line at http://www.lafd.org/
A landlord and tenant may enter into a contract for a housing service that
was not part of the original terms of tenancy. A valid additional services
contract must:
a. Be written;
b. Describe the additional service(s);
c. Specify the length of the service(s);
d. Specify the monthly charge for the service(s).
Monies paid for an additional service are not considered rent. Additional
services contracts are voluntary, and neither the refusal of a tenant to
enter into such agreement, nor the breach of such a contract by the tenant
shall be grounds for eviction.
The allowable rent level after a vacancy depends on the reason for the
vacancy. The Rent Stabilization Ordinance provides that the rent levels be
decontrolled on a rental if the vacancy is due to any of the following reasons:
The tenant voluntarily vacated the unit.
The tenant was evicted for non-payment of legal rent.
The tenant was evicted for violating the terms of the rental
agreement and failing to cure the violation.
The Ordinance requires the rent for a new tenant to remain the same if the
vacancy occurred for any other reason.
Examples of circumstances under which the landlord may NOT raise the
rent upon re-rental:
The landlord evicted the previous tenant to recover the unit for the
occupancy by the landlord or the landlord's spouse, parent(s) or
Following an eviction for occupancy by the landlord or a member of
his immediate family, and the landlord or his family member
subsequently vacated the rental unit.
The tenant was evicted for using or permitting the rental unit to be
used for an illegal purpose.
The tenant was evicted for refusing to enter into a new written
rental agreement, of like terms and duration.
The tenant was evicted for refusing the landlord reasonable access
to the rental unit.
The landlord evicted a tenant for the purpose of performing major
rehabilitation work and failed to perform the work.
Rental assistance was terminated when the landlord canceled or
failed to renew a Section 8 Housing Assistance Payments contract.
(City Ordinance 174,501 in effect as of April 9, 2002, makes it
“unlawful for any landlord to terminate or fail to renew a rental
assistance contract with the Housing Authority of the City of Los
Angeles (HACLA), and then demand that the tenant pay rent in
excess of the tenant’s portion of the rent under the rental
assistance contract.” This ordinance is intended to prohibit
landlords from terminating Section 8 rental assistance payments as
a means of forcing a tenant, who could not otherwise be evicted, to
voluntarily vacate the unit or evict them on the grounds of
nonpayment of rent.
The Los Angeles City Council amended the Rent Stabilization ordinance effective
December 6, 1990, requiring rental property owners subject to the provisions of
Section 1950 of the California Civil Code, to pay interest on security deposits. The
Ordinance was further amended on June 7, 2001 (Ordinance Number 174017),
which revised the interest rates accrued to security deposits.
What is a security deposit?
A security deposit is essentially any money paid by a tenant to a landlord,
which is subsequently held by the landlord for the purposes of providing
compensation for a tenant's failure to pay rent. Additionally, the deposit may
be used for repairing damages to the premises (exclusive of ordinary wear
and tear), caused by the tenant or a guest or licensee of the tenant; for
cleaning the premises upon termination of the tenancy; and for remedying
any future defaults by the tenant in complying with any term under the
rental agreement to restore, replace, or return personal property or
appurtenances, exclusive of ordinary wear and tear, should the rental
agreement authorize the security deposit for this use. For an expanded
discussion of what a security deposit is, please refer to Subsection (b) of
Section 1950.5 of the California Civil Code.
Under what conditions must landlords pay interest on security
Landlords of rental units covered by the Los Angeles City RSO, which
includes dwelling units, suites, condominiums, duplexes, guest rooms, and
rooms in a hotel, motel, rooming house or boarding house occupied by the
same tenant for more than 30 consecutive days, with a certificate of
occupancy first issued before October 1, 1978, for units which are subject
to the provisions of Section 1950.5 of the California Civil Code, must pay
annually interest on all security deposits held for at least one (1) year for
their tenants. This provision does not cover mobile home parks.
What is the interest which must be paid on tenants’ security deposits?
Under the current provisions of the Rent Stabilization Ordinance, landlords
may pay either the actual rate of interest earned or by percentage
established each year by the Rent Adjustment Commission. The following
are the interest rates adopted by the Commission:
November 1, 1990 through December 31, 2000: 5%
January 1, 2001 through December 31, 2001: 2%
January 1, 2002 through December 31, 2002: 0%*
January 1, 2003 through December 31, 2003: 1%.
January 1, 2004 through December 31, 2004: 0.26%
January 1, 2005 through December 31, 2005: 1.21%.
January 1, 2006 through December 31, 2006 1.74%
January 1, 2007 through December 31, 2007 2.39%
*No interest was required on security deposits for the period of January 1,
2002, through December 31, 2002 by Council action (Ordinance 175020).
How and when is payment of interest on security deposits to be
a. During the Tenancy - A tenant is to be given the unpaid accrued interest
on security deposit in the form of either a direct payment or a credit
against rent. The landlord must choose between the two (2) methods of
payment and must notify the tenant in writing of his/her choice. The
landlord may choose to pay the accrued interest on a monthly or yearly
b. Upon Termination of the Tenancy - Payment of any unpaid accumulated
interest on the tenant's security deposit must be made at the same time
and in the same manner as required for return of security deposits in
California Civil Code Section 1950.5(f).
c. Upon Termination of a Landlord's Interest in a Property - All accumulated
interest on security deposits must be disposed of in the same manner as
required for security deposits by California Civil Code Sections
1950.5(g) and 1950.5(h).
May landlords still exercise their own discretion in investing security
Yes. Nothing in the Ordinance prevents landlords from exercising their own
discretion rights in investing deposits (LAMC No. 151.06 .02F).
What happens if a tenant who is entitled to interest on a security
deposit, as provided for in Ordinance No. 174017, is not paid the
interest, and what action may the tenant take to recover the amount
The tenant may bring an action in a court of appropriate jurisdiction
including, but not limited to, Small Claims Court to recover the amount
owed, as per LAMC 151.06.02G.
The Rent Stabilization Division of the City of Los Angeles will not investigate
complaints concerning non-payment of interest on security deposits as the
Ordinance provides only a civil remedy. For more information on Section
1950.5 of the California Civil Code, you may contact:
1. The Los Angeles County, Department of Consumer Affairs
500 W. Temple Street, Room B-96, Los Angeles, CA 90012
(213) 974-1452 http://consumer-affairs.co.la.ca.us
2. The California Department of Consumer Affairs Website:
A landlord may bring an action to recover possession of a rental unit only
upon one of the following grounds (LAMC 151.09):
1. The tenant has failed to pay the rent to which the landlord is entitled
including amounts due under Subsection D of Section 151.06.
2. The tenant has violated a lawful obligation or covenant of the tenancy
other than the obligation to surrender possession, upon proper notice
and has failed to cure such violation after having received written notice
thereof from the landlord.
3. The tenant is committing or permitting to exist a nuisance in or is
causing damage to the rental unit, or to the appurtenances thereof, or to
the common areas of the complex containing the rental unit, or is
creating an unreasonable interference with the comfort, safety, or
enjoyment of any of the other residents of the rental complex or within a
1,000 foot radius extending from the boundary line of the rental
4. The tenant is using, or permitting a rental unit, the common areas of the
rental complex containing the rental unit, or an area within a 1,000 foot
radius from the boundary line of the rental complex to be used for any
illegal purpose.
5. The tenant, who had a written lease or rental agreement which
terminated on or after the effective date of this Chapter, has refused,
after a written request or demand by the landlord to execute a written
extension or renewal for a further term of like duration with similar
provisions and in such terms as are not inconsistent with or violate of
any provision of this Chapter or any other provision of law.
6. The tenant has refused the landlord reasonable access to the unit for
the purpose of making repairs or improvements, or for the purpose of
inspection as permitted or required by the lease or by law, or for the
purpose of showing the rental unit to any prospective purchaser or
7. The person in possession of the rental unit at the end of a lease term is
a subtenant not approved by the landlord.
8. The landlord seeks in good faith to recover possession of the rental unit
for use and occupancy by:
a. The landlord, or the landlord's spouse, children, or parents,
provided the landlord is a natural person (not a corporation or
partnership). However, a landlord may use this ground to recover
possession for use and occupancy by the landlord, landlord’s
spouse, child or parent only once for that person in each rental
complex of the landlord; or
b. A resident manager, provided that no alternative vacant unit is
available for occupancy by the resident manager; except that
where a building has an existing resident manager, the owner may
only evict the existing resident manager in order to replace him/her
with a new manager.
9. The landlord, having complied with all applicable notices and
advisements required by law, seeks in good faith to recover possession
so as to undertake Primary Renovation Work of the rental unit or the
building housing the rental unit, in accordance with a Tenant Habitability
Plan accepted by the Department, and the tenant is unreasonably
interfering with the landlord’s ability to implement the requirements of
the Tenant Habitability Plan by engaging in any of the following actions:
a. The tenant has failed to temporarily relocate as required by the
accepted Tenant Habitability Plan; or
b. The tenant has failed to honor a permanent relocation agreement
with the landlord pursuant to Section 152.05 of the RSO.
(Amended by Ordinance no. 176544, effective May 2, 2005.)
10. The landlord seeks in good faith to recover possession of the rental
units under either of the following circumstances:
a. to demolish the rental unit or
b. to remove the rental unit permanently from rental housing
(Amended by Ordinance no. 176544, effective May 2, 2005.)
11. The landlord seeks in good faith to recover possession of the rental unit
in order to comply with a governmental agency's order to vacate the
building housing the rental unit as a result of a violation of the Los
Angeles Municipal Code or any other provision of law.
12. The Secretary of Housing and Urban Development is both the owner
and plaintiff and seeks to recover possession in order to vacate the
property prior to the sale and has complied with all tenant notification
requirements under federal law and administrative regulations.
(Amended by Ordinance No. 173224, effective May 11, 2000.)
The following reasons for eviction require that a landlord file a “Landlord
Declaration of Intent to Evict” form with the LAHD:
#3 - Nuisance, related to illegal drug or gang activity
#4 - Illegal purpose, related to illegal drug or gang activity
#8 - Owner, family member, or resident manager’s occupancy
#10 - Permanent removal & Demolition
#11 - To comply with a governmental order
#12 - HUD eviction.
The landlord must attach a copy of the processed declaration to the written
eviction form.
For evictions for reason #8 (owner or family occupancy or for installation of a
resident manager), a copy of the filed Declaration must be served upon the
tenant on the date in which the tenant is served a written Thirty (30) Day
Notice to Quit as required by State law. As of January 1, 2007, the required
notice time is 60 days.
For evictions for reason #10, demolition or permanent removal, a copy of the
filed Declaration must be served upon the tenant on the date on which the
tenant is served a written 120-day notice, and
a. Tenants who are at least 62 years of age or disabled and have lived
in the property for one year or more when the units are to be
withdrawn from the rental market (amended by Ordinance Number
173868), are entitled to an extension of up to one year from the
date of service to the tenant. The landlord must disclose this
entitlement on the original 120-day notice.
b. Qualified tenants have the first 60 days of the 120-day notice to
respond in writing to the owner requesting the entitlement of up to
one year.
For evictions for reason #11, to comply with a governmental order, a copy of
the governmental order must be attached to the declaration and must be
served to the tenant in the manner prescribed by Section 1162 of the
California Code of Civil Procedure instead of simply attaching the standard
written notice to quit.
All of these evictions (#8, 9, 10, 11 and 12) require that Relocation
Assistance defined in Section VII) be paid by the landlord within the first
fifteen (15) days of the service of the Notice to Quit. This can either be done
by direct payment to the tenant or by an escrow account. However, when
utilizing the eleventh (11th) legal reason for eviction, should the hazardous
conditions resulting in the governmental agency's order to vacate be due to a
natural disaster or act of God, no relocation assistance is required (LAMC
Landlords must file a Landlord Declaration of Intent to Evict for reasons #3
and #4 when evicting for illegal drug activity, but this eviction does not require
the LAHD’s prior approval. No relocation assistance is required.
The evictions numbered 1, 2, 5, 6, and 7 of Section A above do not require a
Declaration or any additional forms to be filed with the LAHD.
Eviction Questions
What steps follow a Three (3) Day Notice to Pay or Quit?
If the obligation demanded (i.e., payment of rent) has not been satisfied
within three (3) days after the notice was served, the landlord may then
file suit against the tenant in Municipal Court to have the tenant evicted.
This legal document is known as an Unlawful Detainer. The purpose of
this process is for the landlord to recover the possession of the rental
unit from the tenant.
How can I learn more about the Unlawful Detainer process?
State law regulates the Unlawful Detainer process. Further questions
should be directed either to:
Los Angeles County Consumer Affairs at:
(213) 974-1452
Los Angeles Superior Court General Information line at:
(213) 974-6135
Los Angeles Superior Court -Unlawful Detainer Section at:
(213) 974-6140 or (213) 974-7802
See also the Legal Services in Referral Section on Page 59.
What if the tenant pays part of this rent?
The landlord is legally entitled to the full amount of rent when it is due. If
only partial rent is paid, the landlord is entitled to file a 3-Day Notice to
Pay or Quit.
What if the landlord refuses to accept timely rent?
It is illegal for a landlord to refuse to accept rent when it is due.
However, such refusal is not covered under the Rent Stabilization
Ordinance. Please call Los Angeles County Consumer Affairs at (213)
974-1452 for relevant State laws. The tenant may wish to send the rent
due to the landlord via Registered or Certified Mail with a return receipt
Is there a grace period for late rent?
Rent is due on the day stated in the rental agreement. If that date has
passed, the landlord is entitled to file a 3-Day Notice to Pay or Quit. The
landlord may allow a grace period in a written rental agreement, which
may include late fees. The law does not mandate a grace period.
How long can a tenant remain in the dwelling without paying rent if
he is moving out or he is being evicted?
The tenant is responsible for rent for every day he remains in the unit.
The landlord may sue the tenant in court for any unpaid rent.
Can a security deposit be used for the last month's rent?
No. If a tenant has not specifically paid the last month's rent when he
moved in, he must pay his regular rent during his last month of tenancy.
However, a landlord may use the security deposit if the tenant defaults
by not paying all of his rent before he moves out (Civil Code Section
1950.5 (b)(1). (See California Law for further information on the
collection and use of the security deposit.)
May a tenant be evicted for keeping a dog when his contract has a
no pet clause?
Yes. Keeping a pet when the rental agreement specifically forbids a pet
is a violation of the written rental agreement. The landlord can give a 3
or 30-Day Notice to Cure or Quit to remedy the situation. Failing to
“cure” the problem can result in an Unlawful Detainer action filed legally
against the tenant. (See Eviction Section, Reason #2.)
Can a landlord change the terms of tenancy to prohibit a pet in
order to evict a tenant?
No. A landlord may not change the terms of a tenancy to prohibit a
pet(s) in order to evict the tenant for keeping a pet, which was kept and
allowed prior to the change, unless the landlord can establish that the
pet constitutes a nuisance and the nuisance has not been abated upon
proper notice to the tenant.
Can a tenant be evicted for violation of his rental agreement?
Yes. Violation of a rental agreement is one of the twelve legal reasons
for eviction. The landlord must serve the tenant with a 3-Day Notice to
Cure or Quit. This notice gives the tenant a written statement as to
what he must “cure” to be in compliance with the Rental Agreement.
(See Eviction Section, Reason #2.)
Can a tenant be evicted for playing loud music during the night and
if other tenants are complaining?
Loud music is covered under the Noise Ordinance (Los Angeles
Municipal Code 112.01 Section C). If the noise level is excessive,
regardless of the hour, the landlord or tenant should contact the Police
Department. Tenants who become a nuisance may be subject to
eviction. (See Eviction Section, Reason #3.)
Can a tenant be evicted for selling drugs?
Yes. Allowing the rental unit to be used for any illegal purpose is legal
grounds for eviction. (See Eviction Section, Reason #4.)
Is a tenant entitled to notification before a landlord may enter the
Generally, a 24-hour notice is required. This notification can be either
verbal or written. Written notification protects all parties involved, but is
not required. However, in case of an emergency, the notice requirement
may be waived.
May a tenant be evicted for not giving reasonable access to the
Yes. Refusal to grant the landlord reasonable access to the rental unit
(after 24-hour notice or in the case of an emergency) for making repairs
or improvements; inspecting the unit as permitted or required by the
lease or by law; or showing the rental unit to any prospective purchaser
or mortgagee is a reason for eviction. (See Eviction Section, Reason
* * * Free PDF Preview End * * *
Purchase Required To Gain Total Access
Visit www.propmgmtforms.com To Purchase Property Management Forms Package